Saturday, August 8, 2009

trigger foods

What are trigger foods? Have to talk about this later. Have to get those 2 miles in so we can go to state fair. Remember part of life is living it and enjoying it. Enjoying life does not mean eating everything under the sun. There is more to life then eating.
Lets talk trigger foods. I thought I had something in my book about this but it must be something we talk about in class or study group.
What are trigger foods? I define them as foods that you think will satisfy you but instead if stimulates your eating. From what I have found is that these are some of the foods that quickly turn into simple sugars.
For me these foods include croutons and pizza. Lets look at this closer. Pizza, this is a fun quick food. most of the time when you see people eating pizza it is because they are doing it in a group and having a good time so pizza=fun to the brain. I was watching biggest loser and Tara was talking about how she use to eat pizza in her room alone. For me that would mean that alone, no family no friends, no balloons no party. Maybe if you eat a sub type sandwich then the feel will come. If not then ice-cream will give you that feeling with chocolate and whip cream and........ See what I am saying??
Now Croutons? How can they be a trigger? I don't know and I can't explain it but I no longer eat them because if I do then I have to end my day with ice-cream with all kinds of things between.
Lets talk ice cream. One day I weigh in at 125 pounds, not good not bad. good compared to 168 where I started but not good to where I want to be but I can live with it. So I eat the ice-cream. Day 2 weigh in at the same. I run on the treadmill ate light dinner and had ice cream again night of day 2. day 3 down a pound. Had ice cream again. day 4 up pound but that's ok because still not up from starting point. more ice cream. Start thinking about the 3 days of something undesirable make a habit. Don't let this bother me because I am below the 130 mark. have more ice cream. still at 125 but didn't work out. Send up the balloons I have cheated the system I don't have to work out can eat what I want and still not gain weight. This morning. Reality check, weighed in at 126. Wait, what is happening I am seeing a pattern that doesn't quit until I hit a point that I look back and say why and how did I gain this back. I laugh and ask the question, do calories count if you eat them in the closet with the lights out? If you are saying Lynn you are off your rocker then also rethink the whole cheat idea.
Back to trigger foods. What foods do you eat that don't benefit the body but don't satisfy the mind. Start thinking about the foods you are eating that just leave you feeling empty. Call them trigger foods and don't eat them. Most likely you are not going to tell me that broccoli is not a trigger food so I going to guess you can maintain life with out these foods. I am going to guess that most trigger foods contain lots of additives. Only you can figure what foods cause you to eat high calorie low nutrition foods. Maybe it is an activity that is the trigger. Make a plan. If it is working out in the yard and soda is your problem then make sure you have a cold glass of water ready to go. My goal is to get you to think along with helping myself.

No comments: