Monday, August 3, 2009

instead not in addition to

Ok let's take a look at this concept. I think I talk about this in my book and if i don't I know I do in support group. I think this in important because there is a thought that as long as you get those fruits and veggies in your ok.
Lets take a meal of tuna salad. So you have it mixed up and ready to go, what do you put with it? Think with an open mind. I would put it on salad with lots of different veggies which may include avocado. When you cut some of the heavy carbs like a bun you will find that you have the calories to use on things like avocados and nuts. Do you need a dressing on this? I don't. You have mayo in the tuna. I would add some pickles or banana peppers for more flavor.
Another idea would be if you want it on bread do it open face and put some fresh fruit next to it or maybe a salad of some kind. Be careful of the salads with heavy dressing on them. WW does a good job at separating salads into creamy and crispy. If you have to eat potato salad then you are done with grain carbs for that meal. You have choices to make and you have to remember what your goals.
If you are going to put it on a form of cracker have an apple with it.
This I think is a hard thing for people to think about and make a connection. An apple can and should be a great side dish. Does a side dish really have to be hot and high in calories. Grapes and melons are great sides.
I talk about this in my book about really looking at what is a meal on TV. Are those people trying to lose weight or sell food. Are they eating it or is it a prop.
I want you to think before you eat.

No comments: