Sunday, July 26, 2009

Adding high nutrition to your diet

How do you start to think in terms of high nutrition? The best I can say it to really look at what is in something. Lets a stir fry that you are making at home. A fast stir fry I would make by stir frying up some type of protein and adding 1-2 bags of frozen stir fry type of veggies and some sauce. I really make sure I don't drown the dish in sauce . If I was to use the create a meal that you add your own meat I would add an extra veggie or cut that chunk of sauce in half. I have also added a pack of the frozen veggies with rice or noodles. The reason I add the extra bag of veggies to the dish is so you add bulk to the meal with out adding lots of calories. To this I would serve some fresh fruit.
When I start to think of what I want to eat most people start thinking about a heavy carb/protein item. To win at the losing game you need to think starting with what veggies can I add to this meal. What fruits can I add. How lean is the protein I want to eat. When you start with nutrition and then use starches as a filler at the end you should do better at controlling calorie intake.. I always put rice, noodles and other starches in a measuring cup. 1/2 a cup is a serving.
For dinner tonight I had stuffed mushrooms and bing cherries. I stuffed the portabella mushrooms with a mix of chopped spinach, onion, shredded cheese and a little cream cheese and then baked it in the oven. This is one of my favorite meals.

No comments: