Saturday, January 15, 2011

just wanted to know about sugar

I had to look this up because we are doing a detox with a group at my herbalist. Some of the things on the list are no processed sugar, no white, no drip coffee. So you all know what the hard one is for me. Love that warm cup. Yes I could replace it with a hot cup of tea. I am giving it my all and I figure I can stick to anything for a month.
Remember me blogging about support group. When you do things alone you give up or should I say 95% give up. There are those 5% that train to run marathons that have that inner drive.
Another thing on the list is no dairy. This is another hard one because you all know how I love cheese and ice cream.
Why am I doing this? If it clears some health issues (sinus) I will be happy -er.
I am still working our some days but by clearing my diet I am feeling more like getting on that treadmill. I am getting out of yin mode (quiet and nourish) and getting in that yang mode (get up and do) You Yang as the sun comes up and yin as the sun goes down.
Think about those people that work odd shifts or if you yin and yang get mixed up. Do they get sick more?
I did see an story in a trade mag. about the fact that the rest of the world is catching up with us on the amount of sugar we Americans eat. This is a scary thought because as they follow our diet so will their illnesses. Funny how the tides are turning ; as we try to take on their habits they are taking on ours.
Will we find the happiness in the middle?
Here is a link I found http://ezinearticles.com/?Not-So-Sweet---The-Average-American-Consumes-150-170-Pounds-of-Sugar-Each-Year&id=2252026

So DH just had me find something out
I googled grams to teaspoons of sugar

About.com is where I found it.

Question: How do I convert grams of sugar to teaspoons or tablespoons of sugar?
Answer: One teaspoon of granulated white sugar is equal to about 4.2 grams. If you are buying a bottle of cola with 44 grams of sugar, you would divide 44 by 4.2 which is equal to 10 teaspoons of sugar.

There is no real universal formula for converting grams to teaspoons that will work for all ingredients. This is because grams measure weight and teaspoons measure volume. A teaspoon of sugar weight 4.2 grams while a teaspoon of salt weighs six grams. A teaspoon of dried parsley only weighs 0.5 gram.

So there are 24.9 grams of sugar/ by 4.2= 5.928 Teaspoons in 1 cup of that chocolate milk I like in my coffee.

So with that being said you can use this as a guide, for ever 25 grams of sugar you eat you are getting 6 teaspoons of sugar. DH wants to know who puts everything on labels in grams? The food industry? Is this because we americans can't relate to the whole gram thing so we cant draw a relationship so grams have no meaning? Well now they do. 25 grams= 6 teas. or 2T. This makes label reading more interesting.

Have a great day

What else do we want to know?


No comments: